“These are great as an appetizer, breakfast, brunch, or even a vegetarian main course.”
Servings: 12 Preparation Time: 0:30
- 2 jars artichoke hearts marinated in oil — (6 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion — minced
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup Panko — (or gluten-free bread crumbs ok)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley — or other fresh herbs
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce — optional
- 2 cups cheese — Sharp Cheddar, Swiss or both
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Drain artichoke hearts and chop fine. If using hearts marinated in oil, reserve 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of the reserved in a heavy duty skillet over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until soft-about 5 minutes. Add the chopped artichoke hearts and sauté with onion and garlic for an additional minute. Remove from heat and cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Stir in the Panko, seasonings, cheese, and artichoke, onion, garlic mixture. Pour into 9 X 9 baking pan that has been lightly sprayed.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and puffy. Cool for 10 minutes, then cut in to 2-3 inch squares. These will keep, tightly covered and refrigerated for 2 days.
- They can be wrapped in heavy duty foil and frozen for up to one month.